Friday, February 6, 2009

Kind of a silly list...


There's this "list" going around on Facebook that people are supposed to complete when they are "tagged." I was tagged a little while ago, but didn't create my list until last night. Here it is in it's entirety.

25 Random Things (that you probably didn't know you wanted to know about me)


1.) I hate wearing socks (unless my feet are cold at home, then I wear them w/o shoes). I have probably a dozen pairs of sandals and wear them year-round, even when it's raining.

2.) I grew up in a very large family. I'm the fourth of eleven children. (Yes, eleven! 8 girls, 3 boys. Same mom and dad, no multiple births.) It was fantastic! I always had someone to play with or talk to.

3.) I married my high school sweetheart, and we've been married for almost 19 years. I love him more than the day I married him, and he is the best husband ever!

4.) I love girly things (makeup, clothes, etc), yet I have four sons. Not one daughter.

5.) When I was a little girl, I thought I'd be a stay at home mom, but wasn't so sure once I started working. However, once I had kids and was able to be home with them, I realized it agreed with me. I enjoy being there for all my kids "firsts" and hearing about their day.

6.) After years of insisting I would never live in California because there are earthquakes, I found myself moving to California. It turns out little earthquakes aren't so bad, but I've never been through a big one. That thought still terrifies me, but I am prepared with our 72 hour kit and other necessities in case the big one hits.

7.) The hardest thing I've ever had to do was call my parents and tell them that my younger brother, Jon, died in a car accident while living with me in California.

8.) My brother's death changed me in indescribable ways. Although I still miss him everyday, my faith in a loving Heavenly Father has grown. I know He loves each person individually and is aware of all our struggles. Without His help, I would not have been able to endure the aftermath of my brother's death.

9.) My son, A.J., is named Adam Jon. Not John after my husband, but Jon after my brother.

10.) After high school, I was so putting so much energy into my studies that I dropped out of college after one semester (which I now regret). I've gone back to school a few times and finally managed to earn my AA last year. I plan to continue my studies, possibly forever, because I really love college this time around. (I'm editing this after the fact, this should read that I put so much energy into my high school studies that I was burnt out, so I dropped out of college after one semester.)

11.) I went on the game show Supermarket Sweep with my best friend, Sheri, several years ago. We almost won the big prize of $5,000, except we couldn't solve our last clue, despite having more than 40 seconds left. It was Uno (the candy bar). Despite not winning the "big prize", it was a really fun experience.

12.) I try to read the scriptures everyday and find that when I do, my day goes better.

13.) When I was in high school, I thought I was fat. Mind you, I was never a super skinny girl, but I would love to be the size I was in high school.

14.) I love swimming.

15.) When I was 12, a woman at church offered free swimming lessons to anyone who wanted them. Although I could already swim, a cute boy in our ward was taking them (for a scout merit badge), so I decided to take them. They weren't as fun as I thought they'd be, because she made us swim a lot of laps. That summer, my family rented a beach house in Kitty Hawk, NC, and I almost drowned. I went swimming in the ocean with huge waves and realized I couldn't get out. If Sis. Markoff had not made me swim all those laps, I would not have lasted long enough for my sister, Heather to find me and help me. (Thanks Mary and Heather!)

16.) My children bring out the best and worst in me. I try to show only the best, but have my bad days, just like everyone else.

17.) I am a proud member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints.

18.) At church, I am currently serving in the Primary (the children's organization) as 1st councilor in the Primary Presidency and the Primary Pianist.

19.) I have played the piano for about 30 years. Playing the piano relaxes me like nothing else, and I am so grateful to my mother for paying for piano lessons for all those years!

20.) Living far from my family (sisters, brothers, parents) is hard sometimes, but I have good friends who make it easier.

21.) I feel guilty that my kids don't get to see their cousins very often.

22.) My goal as a parent is to love my children and to teach them the skills they need to be happy adults who contribute to society.

23.) I have skinny wrists and ankles, even though the rest of me is no longer skinny.

24.) I have decided to let the gray hair grow in and have stopped coloring my hair.

25.) I love talking to my sisters and am grateful for unlimited long distance plans. I try to talk to family members at least 2-3 times a week, even if it's only for 5 minutes.

0 comments: