Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Saying Good-Bye

My son, David, is serving a 2 year mission for our church.  He will be teaching the Vietnamese people in Cambodia the Gospel of Jesus Christ.  At his age, 19, this is a sacrifice.  He is taking a break from friends, college, and fun, and giving his time to God and others. 

Part of this sacrifice involves less communication with family.  We receive an email once a week and calls twice a year.  He can write letters (so can we). 

While speaking with my sister-in-law (who I love dearly), we were talking about what David's life would be like, and I explained that instead of the church paying him (or providing a stipend), we pay for the mission.  She asked me, "Why would you do it?" (Meaning not see my son for 2 years, have very little communication, send him to a country with less that ideal living conditions, and then pay for him to do it.)  I gave her the only answer I could, "Because the church is true" (Meaning The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints).

And it is true!  When God asks something of you, you trust Him and do it.

I took several pictures of David the night before he left and at the airport.  I'm sharing just a few with you.






0 comments: