Wednesday, October 22, 2008

I had not written a letter to the editor on any subject for more than a decade, until today. I wrote a letter to the editor about Prop. 8 today. I intended to do it weeks ago, but I wasn't sure what to write. I didn't have anything new to say. Then I read an article in our local newspaper, The Signal, and I decided it was time.

The article was titled "Cheers, jeers for protestors" and detailed a "No on Prop. 8" protest at a major intersection in Santa Clarita. (click here to view the article) While it was a balanced article presenting both sides of Prop. 8, I was disappointed that the paper did not mention similar demonstrations by Prop 8 supporters throughout the Santa Clarita Valley on Saturday, October 19. I was also upset, because the article portrayed the main voice for Prop 8 as uneducated. So I composed a letter and sent it in.

Here it is:


While I read The Signal's article "Cheers, jeers for protestors" with interest, I was quite disappointed with the one-sided coverage of the Proposition 8 demonstrations in the Santa Clarita. "Yes on 8!" volunteers held similar demonstrations on Saturday, October 19 on several major intersections around the valley, receiving both support and criticism.

Also, the article portrayed the main pro-Prop 8 voice as ill-educated for she was unable to cite where the Bible states that homosexuality is a sin. I would like to assist that dedicated Prop 8 supporter by answering the question now. There are several scriptures including one found in Leviticus 18: 22, which states, "Thou shalt not lie with mankind, as with womankind: it is abomination."

I am voting "YES" on Proposition 8 which defines marriage as it should be "between a man and a woman", and I hope that all Californians will join with me.


We'll see if they publish it!

I encourage each of you to make your voice heard on Proposition 8, whether or not you live in California, even if you feel you have nothing new or different to add to the discussion. Talk to your friends and neighbors about it. Respond to articles and blogs online. Write letters to the editor. Put up a yard sign, or place a bumper sticker on your car. Pray to soften the hearts of the people of California, so they may follow our Prophet, Thomas S. Monson, to vote "YES" on Proposition 8.




This battle is winnable! Many people are afraid to say they support Prop 8, because they think they are alone. Let them know they are not alone and that together we will "stand at witnesses of God, at all times and in all things, and in all places"!

0 comments: